Thank you for choosing the Foundation to express your generosity! You can give to the Foundation to benefit the Foundation’s ministries, scholarships, and grants, or you can designate your gift to benefit your local church or partner organization aligned with the values of the Foundation. Contact us if you would like to donate securities to benefit one our partner organizations by emailing email@example.com.
*** If you are donating shares from a TD Ameritrade account, contact TD Ameritrade, and they will guide you through their process to donate to the Foundation’s TD Ameritrade account #488-885-638. And then send to us the “Gift Instructions” form in #3 below. ***
To donate shares from an account not with TD Ameritrade, please follow these instructions:
- Call your broker and tell them what securities you want to donate to the UM Foundation (the broker will likely want you to complete their own “Transfer Authorization” form)
- Send to your broker the “Transfer Authorization” form identified in step #2 (tell the broker to memo the word “GIFT”)
- Complete and send to the Foundation office the “Gift Instructions” form (this indicates your donor intent and what organization should benefit from your gift)
The following information is what your broker will need to transfer shares to the Foundation’s account (also on the Foundation’s “Transfer Authorization” form below):
For Further Credit to: United Methodist Foundation of the Northern Illinois Conference, Inc.
DTC #0188 • Account #488-885-638 • Please memo the word “GIFT”
The Foundation’s broker is:
TD Ameritrade, Inc., Attn. DTC Transfers
200 South 108th Avenue, Omaha, NE 68154-2631
Your broker may also request the Foundation’s Tax ID #36-2317623.
What to expect
- The preferred method for sending the Gift Instructions form is scanning it and sending via email (see the form). We will respond in a timely manner recognizing receipt of the Gift Instructions form.
- When the Foundation receives the securities, we will notify the donor (and anyone else requested by the donor) via email.
- As soon as possible after receipt, the Foundation will liquidate the securities, which then settles to cash after the trade day plus two days.
- The Foundation will execute the donor’s instructions entered on the form.
- The Foundation will mail a physical letter to the donor and the charitable beneficiary stating the details of the donation with the relevant language related to charitable contributions, according to IRS guidelines.
- From the time the Gift Instructions form and the securities are received to the time the charitable beneficiary receives the cash proceeds is typically about one week, depending on mail delivery of the check and letters.
IRA Charitable Rollover
If you are 70½ or older, rather than simply take your “Required Minimum Distribution” (RMD), you can direct your IRA administrator to give a “Qualified Charitable Distribution” (QCD) from your eligible IRA to your church or the Foundation for grants, scholarships, etc. Your gift will apply to your RMD. Contact your IRA administrator for information on this simple yet impactful way to give.
Your QCD is excluded from taxable income (some limitations apply, such as the maximum gift amount). Note: You cannot also itemize the QCD amount as a charitable tax deduction. (This information is not intended as tax, legal, or financial advice. Gift results may vary. Consult your personal financial advisor for information specific to your situation.)
Your financial gift to the Foundation helps us multiply resources for ministry in many ways by …
- providing an exemplary, socially responsible investment program for local churches and partner organizations
- administering charitable gift annuities, providing guaranteed, lifelong income for annuitants and a gift to the designated local church or partner organization at the end of their life
- consulting with local churches to create endowment funds and policies and to promote planned giving opportunities for friends and members
- preaching throughout the annual conference about financial stewardship
- hosting multiple financial stewardship seminars and workshops to equip church leaders with best practices to encourage generosity
- providing resources for clergy in prudent management of personal and church finances
- offering grants funding for creative ministries at local churches and partner organizations
The Foundation is a 501(c)(3) tax exempt organizations. Donations to the Foundation are tax deductible according to IRS guidelines. Thank you for your support!